Sunday, August 29, 2021

News and Diversity


Being up to date on current news is one of the most important things a person can do. While I tend to listen to some sources over others, I have found the best way to get the full story is to look at multiple sources. Many news sites now are biased, so I like to look at a variety of left and right-leaning sources. 


 National Public Radio- NPR is a privately and publicly funded source. It is non-profit and my go-to news source. It was founded in 1970 and is based in Washington D.C. with its western headquarters in Culver City, California. NPR does have a website with articles and with transcripts of radio shows, but I prefer to listen to the station. Very few news stations are mostly radio-based, and I prefer to listen to the news rather than watch it.  



British Broadcasting Corporation - BBC is a news source that was established in 1997. It is a British public service broadcaster. It has a center bais although it is left-leaning at times. It has a large number of websites. It won the Prix Italia for Web - Broadcasters Portal award in 2000 and the Peabody Award in 2012. I like listening to BBC because it is interesting to me to learn about what is happening in other countries, as well as to learn about U.S. news from the perspective of another country.



Baltimore Sun - The Baltimore Sun was founded in 1837 and is Maryland's largest circulated daily newspaper. Being from Maryland I grew up with a new issue of the Sun every week. It has a left-center bias, and many sources find it to be highly factual in all reports with the left bias coming in at editorials. I have always enjoyed the Baltimore Sun and always will.



Fox News - Fox News is a multimedia news source that is right-leaning. It is highly considered as the go-to conservative news source. It is based in New York City and is owned by Fox Corporation. It was founded in 1997 by Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes. The segment Hannity was ranked number one in Cable News/Talk Shows by Fullintel. I listen and watch Fox news to hear from a source with a conservative bias.



Cable News Network - CNN is a left-leaning multimedia news source based out of Atlanta, Georgia. It was founded in 1980 by Ted Turner and Reese Schonfeld. It is considered to be in America's top three news sources (along with Fox and MSNBC). CNN is one of America's top liberal news sources. I listen and watch CNN to hear news from a liberal bias. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship to Technology Through Social Media (Final Project)

My Relationship: I have used social media for a good chunk of my life. It is something that defines my generation. There are three platforms...